Effective Business Writing
With the increasing emphasis in the public sector on information, organisations need excellent communicators who are capable of delivering their messages clearly and persuasively. Clear, concise writing plays a central role in the work of the organisation. Staff sometimes find writing difficult and challenging in this communication process. This course aims to develop and enhance participants’ writing skills and to cover the core elements of writing.
Specifically participants should:
- develop their writing skills;
- develop their confidence in structuring letters/ memos/ reports;
- increase their awareness of the role of appropriate language in achieving the purpose of the report and draw attention to the usage of clichés and how to avoid them;
- increase their awareness of the importance of grammar and punctuation and the implications of the Freedom of Information Act for writing.
Who Will Benefit?
The course is designed to meet the needs of staff who write reports/proposals and letters and who wish to improve their writing skills.
Public sector organisations need their staff to know how to:
- plan and structure their writing;
- match their writing style to objectives;
- make effective use of summaries;
- write concisely and clearly;
- use graphics, grammar and punctuation appropriately;
- edit their writing to maximise effect.
This course aims to give participants the tools they need to develop their writing skills. The course will include short inputs from the facilitator, discussion sessions and practical writing exercises. Participants are requested to bring a sample of their writing with them to the course.
Participants will be supplied with a course workbook and any documentation required for the course exercises.
Christine McNally, Management Specialist
Dates, Venue and Fee
Date: 7 March 2017 (One Day)
Venue: Institute of Public Administration
Fee: The cost of this one day course is €405 for Corporate Members of the Institute, €450 for others. Fee includes course material, lunch and refreshments.
*Date may be subject to change.
This course can be tailored for in-house delivery. Please email email@example.com if you would like further information about customised training.
Bookings / Enquiries
All IPA courses are subject to minimum participant numbers and bookings will typically close one week prior to the course start date. Bookings must be received in writing.
Central Bookings Office
Institute of Public Administration | 57-61 Lansdowne Road, Dublin D04 TC62
Tel: (01) 240 3666 | Fax: (01) 668 9135 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply Now (application form)