Certificate in Local Government Studies
- Distance learning supported by attendance at weekday tutorials at the IPA in Dublin and Regionally where demand warrants this. Regional locations are not confirmed until after the closing date for applications.
- Four tutorial days over one academic year (September-April)
- Accredited by UCD
- Level 6 (Minor Award) on the National Framework of Qualifications
- Commences September/October
- The cost of the programme is €730 (includes all matriculation and examination fees), payable in one or two instalments (see page 85 of the undergraduate brochure for more details).
- Many of our graduates have successfully continued their studies with the Diploma in Local Government Studies. On completion of that programme, they can, after a bridging course, enter stage three of the IPA's Bachelor of Arts (Hons) (Local Government)
- Download Brochure | Read Key Facts Sheet | Apply Now
The Certificate in Local Government Studies provides participants with a grounding in the principal areas of legislation and practice in local government and with the core knowledge and understanding to enable them to work effectively within their role and operational area.
This Certificate is ideally suited to:
- Staff of all disciplines, technical, administrative, indoor and outdoor, working in the local government system
- Those working for some time in local government who feel they need to broaden their understanding of an ever changing and dynamic local government system
- Those working for agencies which have links with Irish local government and who wish to familiarise themselves with the Irish local government system
Delivery and Duration
This one year programme will commence in September and ends with examinations in April. It will require student participation through attendance at four x one day intensive tutorials. Students will receive a learning pack comprising a specially developed distance learning text and associated reading lists.
Tutorials are designed to support students and to deepen their knowledge and understanding of the course material. The course material is updated annually and incorporates all key aspects of local government legislation and practice.
Tutorials are delivered by experienced practitioners and are offered at the IPA in Dublin and on a regional basis where demand warrants this.
Tutorial Regions* and Dates are to be confirmed for 2016 - 2017.
*Regions are subject to minimum student numbers and dates may be subject to change. Please see Key Facts Sheet for proposed regions and dates.
The Module Content for this Certificate covers the following key Local Government topics. Please note that topics may be subject to change:
- Rational, Purpose, Governance & Development of Irish Local Government
- Local Government Reform
- Local Government Finance
- Human Resource Management
- Role of the CEO and Elected Members
- Planning and Development
- Housing and Building
- Roads and Transportation
- Water Services
- Environmental Services
- Library, Arts, Amenity etc.
- Economic and Local Develoment
The IPA is a recognised college of University College Dublin (UCD). The Certificate in Local Government Studies is awarded by UCD and is at Level 6 (Special Purpose Award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
Students can choose to complete only the Certificate programme however many of our graduates have successfully continued their studies with the Diploma in Local Government Studies. Students also have the opportunity upon completion of the Diploma in Local Government Studies to progress to year three of the IPA’s Bachelor of Arts (Local Government Management stream)
Assessment is continuous throughout the programme and consists of four project assignments and review through examination.
Fee, Enrolment Procedures and Admissions
The Application deadline for this course is end July 2016.
The IPA's undergraduate brochure provides all this information and can be downloaded from this page.
Read the Key Facts Sheet
Read the Brochure
Apply Now (application form)
Have some questions? Contact us