Certificate in Public Management
- Delivery Methods:
- Evening Lectures at the IPA
- Evening Lectures at Limerick or Dundalk Institutes of Technology (where numbers permit)
- Distance education (plus complimentary regional tutorials where numbers permit) supported by weekend seminars at the IPA.
- One academic year (September-April)
- Accredited by UCD
- Level 6 (Minor Award) on the National Framework of Qualifications
- Commences September
- The cost of the programme is €2,820 (includes all matriculation and examination fees), payable in one or two instalments (see page 85 of the undergraduate brochure for more details).
- Students can progress to the second year of the Diploma in Public Management or BA (Hons).
- Download brochure
For over a quarter of a century, the IPA’s Certificate in Public Management has provided a systematic introduction to the subjects at the heart of public management in Ireland. This one-year, part-time programme addresses such crucial topics as constitutional law, the principles of economics, the political institutions of the Irish state, and the theories and practices of modern management.
This self-contained programme has proved of real and lasting value both to those who are beginning a career in the public service and to those who want to further their professional development. Students are very often employed in the civil and wider public service.
Delivery and Duration
This programme takes one academic year. It begins in late September and ends with examinations in mid April. There are three available tuition methods:
- Evening lectures at the IPA in Dublin
- Evening lectures at selected regional centres
- Distance learning.
All students attend several weekend seminars and tutorials at the IPA in Dublin.
The Certificate consists of four subjects:
- Politics, Government and Public Administration
- Principles of Management
The IPA is a recognised college of University College Dublin (UCD). The Certificate in Public Management is awarded by UCD and is at Level 6 (Minor Award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
The Certificate is a stand-alone qualification and the first year of the two-year Diploma in Public Management and the four-year Bachelor of Arts (Hons).
This programme is assessed by means of written assignments and final exams.
Fees, Enrolment Procedures, and Admissions
The IPA’s undergraduate brochure provides all this information and can be downloaded from this page.
What former students say
“If you want a qualification that is widely recognised and applicable in your workplace than the IPA is the place to study.”
- Pat Delaney, Director of Sectors, IBEC
Read the Brochure
Apply Now (application form)
Have some questions? Contact Us