An Introduction to Project Management: Tools & Techniques
Project management skills have never been more in demand. There is a clear need for a shift in the public service to a project management (PM) approach to effectively deliver on business plans. Properly implemented, the PM approach ensures understanding, focus, confidence, oversight and success. This two day programme is designed to enable you to apply your learning immediately, in a flexible, non-prescriptive manner that takes account of the practicalities of working in the public service. The course is aimed at those who need to develop a better understanding of the critical tools and techniques of project management that help focus your planning, minimises risk and speeds delivery. It will be of benefit to anyone involved directly in project work - whether in a small group effort or a significant undertaking, those who work with project teams but who are not part of them and who wish to be more effective through a better understanding of the language of project management, and new project managers.
Upon completion of this training, participants will:
- be equipped with the practical skills, tools and techniques needed for successful planning, implementation and completion of research projects
- have an understanding of the role and responsibilities of the project manager throughout the research project life cycle
- be aware of the benefits of formal project management and increased awareness of the pitfalls associated with managing projects
- have developed a common understanding of a practical approach to project management as practically applied to a research project.
The course will cover the following areas:
- Project Start-up: How to formally initiate your project and secure support for it
- Defining the Project: Getting to grips with what has to be done and scheduling the work
- Managing the Project: Tips and techniques for ensuring the project stays on track
- Closing the Project: Staying focussed on the main prize and securing benefits for the organisation
Martin Speers, Head of IT Unit and Programme Director of Certificate and Diploma in Project Management.
Jim Cumiskey, Leadership & Management Associate and Tutor.
Dates, Venue and Fee
Date: The dates for the next course are to be confirmed. Please email email@example.com to receive notification of future dates for this training programme.
Venue: Institute of Public Administration
Fee: The cost of this course is €810 for Corporate Members of the Institute, €900 for others. Fee includes course material, lunch and refreshments each day.
This course can be tailored for in-house delivery. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like further information about customised training.
Bookings / Enquiries
Central Bookings Office
Institute of Public Administration
57-61 Lansdowne Road, Dublin 4
Tel: (01) 240 3666 Fax: (01) 668 9135
Apply Now (application form)