Train the Trainer
Who’s it for?
This programme is for you if you are, whole or part-time, involved in the design and development of training programmes, the delivery or facilitation of courses, the buying in of customised or standardised training packages from outside organisations or the evaluation of training solutions.
The programme is a rich blend of tutor-led discussions, short inputs and practical exercises which help you to put into practice many of the ideas and concepts discussed during the programme. It is designed to support you in your first attempts to deliver effective and engaging training and to build your confidence while drawing on real issues and situations that arise in facilitating people to learn and to change. You will benefit from all the models and approaches that we have been using with our clients for many years. We will also share with you several concrete cases of facilitating skills development that we have encountered over the years.
The programme is delivered over three days (one x two day module and one x one day module) to provide for the minimum disruption to your work commitments. You will be given the opportunity to facilitate sessions of training and learning and receive feedback from the other participants and the facilitator. Each module provides an opportunity to build on your understanding and practical skills of designing and delivering a real life programme of training relevant to your organisation’s current needs.
What will I learn?
The programme is designed to address the development needs of trainers and facilitators who work within the public and private sectors. You will learn:
- How individuals learn and change
- How training needs are analysed in an organisation
- How to create effective learning environments
- How to design and deliver effective and professional training events
- How to design and use group and individual methods of training and learning
- How to evaluate and measure learning and the impact of training
- A range of communication skills and abilities that are important in the workplace
- To better understand the role of a facilitator and the skills for working calmly and effectively with individuals and groups.
- Trainer Effectiveness 1
- The systematic training cycle
- Assessing learning needs
- Preparing a programme
- Writing aims and objectives
- Preparing a training session plan
- Preparing training materials
- Designing course evaluation
- Delivering a session: Part 1
- Trainer Effectiveness 2
- The role of training and development
- How adults learn
- Using different methods to facilitate learning
- Demonstrating a skill
- Using training aids
- Simulations, role-plays and excercises
- Delivering a session: Part 2
- Trainer Effectiveness 3
- Identifying business needs
- Choosing and using consultants
- Developing learning contracts
- The skills of facilitating learning
- Questioning and listening skills
- Managing difficult situations in groups
- Working with groups
- Delivering a session: Part 3
This course will be delivered by Teresa Casserly, Director, Training and Development.
Dates, Venue and Fee
Date: 4-5 November and 26 November 2015 (Three Days)
Venue: Institute of Public Administration
Fee: The cost of this three day course is €1,035 for Corporate Members of the Institute, €1,080 for others. Fee includes course material, lunch and refreshments.
This course can be tailored for in-house delivery. Please email email@example.com if you would like further information about customised training.
Bookings / Enquiries
Central Bookings Office
Institute of Public Administration
57-61 Lansdowne Road, Dublin 4
Tel: (01) 240 3666 | Fax: (01) 6689135 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply Now (application form)