Principles of Data Protection
Data protection compliance is a key duty of all organisations, public and private, which handle personal data. As well as the legal and regulatory impact of a serious data protection incident, the harm to trust, brand and reputation can be literally incalculable.
The EU General Data Protection Regulation, which is expected to come into force in Spring of 2018, will create significant new obligations, as well as massively increased financial penalties – up to €20m or 4% of global turnover. This two-day “Principles of Data Protection” course will give you a clear understanding of your organisation’s main data protection obligations and what you need to do to ensure its compliance.
Who Should Attend?
Staff who have a significant responsibility for data protection compliance in their organisations or who have an interest in pursuing a career path in data protection.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be equipped to:
- Demonstrate practical knowledge and understanding of current data protection requirements;
- Develop and implement effective data protection policies and procedures for their organisations;
- Understand the key changes coming in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) so they can begin preparation to apply it in their working environments.
The course will cover the following areas:
- History and context of privacy rights
- Data Protection and related legislation
- The Eight Data Protection Rules
- Rights of the Data Subject
- Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
- Offences & liability
- Overseas data transfer
- The role of the Data Protection Officer, including the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation
This course will be delivered by Fintan Swanton. Fintan has been a data protection and management consultant since 2006 and has more than 25 years’ experience in ICT. He is past Chairman of the Association of Data Protection Officers and past President of the Irish Computer Society. Fintan is a Chartered Engineer, a Chartered IT Professional, a Certified Data Protection Practitioner, and holds a Masters Degree in Computing. He consults with, advises and provides training to a wide range of organisations, public and private, on data protection compliance.
Dates, Venue and Fee
Date: 13-14 February 2017 | 30-31 March 2017 | 12-13 June 2017 * (Two Days)
Venue: Institute of Public Administration, 57 - 61 Lansdowne Road, Dublin D04 TC62
Fee: The cost of this course is €810 for Corporate Members of the Institute, €900 for others. Fee includes course material, lunch and refreshments.
*Dates may be subject to change.
All IPA courses are subject to minimum participant numbers and bookings will typically close one week prior to the course start date.
Central Bookings Office
Institute of Public Administration | 57-61 Lansdowne Road, Dublin D04 TC62
Tel: (01) 240 3666 | Fax: (01) 668 9135 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply Now (application form)