Certificate in Public Procurement
- Distance learning supported by attendance at weekday tutorials at the IPA in Dublin.
- 10 Workshop days over one academic year (September to April)
- Accredited by UCD
- Level 6 (Special Purpose Award) on the National Framework of Qualifications
- Commences September/October
- The cost of the programme is €4,500 (includes all matriculation and examination fees), payable in two instalments (see page 85 of the undergraduate brochure for more details).
- Successful students can further their studies in Public Procurement with the Diploma in Public Procurement
- Download Brochure | Read Key Facts Sheet
The Certificate in Public Procurement is a comprehensive introduction to public procurement and focuses on best practice procurement in the public sector and the achievement of value for money within the context of Irish and European Union legislation. The course provides comprehensive detail on all aspects of the procurement process to professionals seeking to enhance their skill base in this important field.
The aim of the certificate programme is to provide participants with the basic knowledge, skills and tools necessary to ensure an effective and efficient procurement service, which will deliver value for money, manage procurement risks and ensure compliance with all national and EU procurement regulations. It is offered by the IPA in conjunction with Achilles Procurement Services.
The course is specifically designed for public sector officials engaged in the procurement of supplies, works and services. Previous experience of procurement is necessary.
Delivery and Duration
This programme will be delivered over a four to five month period. Delivery is via a blended learning programme that involves a combination of distance learning, tutor delivery, attendance at workshops, directed home study and continuous assessment through assignments, work-based projects and written examination.
Workshops will take place at the Institute of Public Administration in Dublin. Classes typically run from 9:30 to 5:00 on module dates.
This Certificate is delivered on a modular basis and covers the following topics:
Module One: Foundation - Principles and Rules
- Principles and Regulations
- Defining Contract types
- Different types of Notices
Module Two: Assessment Processes
- Sele ction Criteria
- Award Criteria
- Framework Agreements / Panels / Lists
- Remedies Legislation
Module Three: Value for Money, Planning and Procurement Strategy
- Principles of Good Procurement
- Value for Money
- Procurement Planning
- Procurement Strategy
Module Four: Tender Documentation and Tendering Process
- Tender Documentation
- Request for Tenders
- Tender Receipt, Opening and Evaluation
Module Five: Debriefing, Risk Management, Ethics and Corporate Governance
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Business Ethics & Corporate Governance
- Contact Terms and Conditions
The IPA is a recognised college of University College Dublin (UCD). The Certificate in Public Procurement is awarded by UCD and is at Level 6 (Special Purpose Award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
Successful students can further their studies in Public Procurement with the Diploma in Public Procurement.
Award of the Certificate is based on the successful completion of three assignments, a work-based project and a three hour, closed book examination.
Fees, Enrolment Procedures and Admissions
The IPA's undergraduate brochure provides all this information and can be downloaded from this page.
Read Key Facts Sheet
Read the Brochure
Apply Now (application form)
Have some questions? Contact us