Certificate in Business Studies
- Evening lectures at the IPA.
- Evening lectures at Limerick or Dundalk Institutes of Technology (where numbers permit).
- Distance education (plus complimentary regional tutorials where numbers permit) supported by weekend seminars at the IPA.
- All delivery methods involve attendance at some weekend seminars at the IPA.
- One academic year (September to April)
- Accredited by UCD
- Level 6 (Special Purpose Award) on the National Framework for Qualifications
- Commences September
- The Cost is €2,980 (including all matriculation and examination fees), payable in one or two instalments. Students studying at an Institute of Technology pay their first instalment to that Institute. See p. 85 of the brochure for more details.
- Students can progress to the second year of the Diploma in Business Studies or BBS (Hons)
- Download Brochure
This part-time programme explores the subjects essential to modern business practice. It seeks to give students a solid grounding in topics of lasting relevance to business life, enabling them to become competent in four key business functions. It has long proved an ideal choice for a diverse set of professional learners.
The Certificate is a very good choice for those who would like a substantial grounding in subjects fundamental to effective business practice. As it is an introductory-level programme, students are not expected to have any prior knowledge of the subjects taught. Students come from both the public and private sectors.
Delivery and Duration
This programme takes one academic year. It begins in late September and ends with examinations in mid-April. It can be taken in three different ways:
- Evening lectures at the IPA in Dublin
- Evening lectures at selected regional centres
- Distance education
All students attend several weekend seminars and tutorials at the IPA.
The Certificate consists of four subjects:
- Financial Accounting
- Quantitative Methods
- Managing Human Resources/Managing IT
- Business Administration and Marketing
The IPA is a recognised college of University College Dublin (UCD). The Certificate in Business Studies is awarded by UCD and is at Level 6 (Minor Award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
The Certificate is both a stand-alone qualification and the first year of the two-year Diploma in Business Studies and the four-year Bachelor of Business Studies (Hons). On successful completion of this year, students can enter these programmes.
This programme is assessed through assignments and final examinations.
Fees, Enrolment Procedures and Admissions
The IPA’s Undergraduate Brochure provides all this information. Click here
What former students say
"If you want a qualification that is widely recognised and applicable in your workplace than the IPA is the place to study."
- Pat Delaney, Director of Sectors, IBEC
Read the Brochure Click here
Apply Now (application form)
Have some questions? Contact us