Certificate in Management Development
- Distance learning supported by attendance at weekday workshops at the IPA in Dublin and on a regional basis where demand warrants this. Regional locations are not available until after the closing date for applications.
- 8 workshop days over one academic year (September to April)
- Accredited by UCD
- Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications
- Commences September/October
- The cost of the programme is €1,700 (includes all matriculation and examination fees), payable in two instalments, see page 85 of the brochure for more details.
- Download Brochure
Against the backdrop of the modernisation initiatives throughout the public service, the drive towards integrated service delivery and increasing consumer expectations, managers need to be familiar with, and apply a range of skills and key competencies in order to be successful. The Certificate in Management Development has been designed for public servants keen to take up this management challenge and contribute to the effectiveness of their organisation. The overall aim, is to improve students' overall competency in effective management practice.
This Certificate is ideally suited to:
- Those wishing to make a career move into a managerial or supervisory role
- Newly appointed managers
- Experienced managers who wish to develop or refresh their skills and knowledge through exposure to the latest in good management practice.
Delivery and Duration
The programme is delivered over one academic year, commencing in September and finishing with final examinations in April. It is a distance learning programme that is supported by attendance at four two day modules over the duration of the programme. Students will receive a learning pack comprising a specially developed distance learning text. The material will be supported by four two-day workshops. This format allows participants to study in their own time, at their own pace and at the location of their choice.
The purpose of each workshop is to: animate the contents of each module; allow participants to relate module content to their own jobs; provide support and networking opportunities.
Tutorials will take place at the Institute of Public Administration in Dublin. Classes typically run from 9:30 to 5:00 on tutorial dates.
The programme will be delivered via four modules based on key management competencies identiÞed in the Irish public sector
- Managing Yourself
- Managing Innovation and Systems
- Managing People
- Managing Organisation Performance
The IPA is a recognised college of University College Dublin (UCD). The Certificate in Management Development is awarded by UCD and is at Level 6 (Special Purpose Award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
Award of the Certificate in Management Development is based on successful completion of four assignments, attendance at all four workshops plus two final examinations.
Fee, Environment Procedures and Admissions
The IPA's undergraduate brochure provides all this information and can be downloaded from this page.
Read the Brochure
Apply Now (application form)
Have some questions? Contact us